S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Radiation Applied Life Science (대학원 협동과정 방사선응용생명과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_방사선응용생명과학전공)
Radiological spectrum of hepatic mesenchymal hamartoma in children
- Kim, Soung Hee; Kim, Woo Sun; Cheon, Jung-Eun; Yoon, Hye-Kyung; Kang, Gyeong Hoon; Kim, In-One; Yeon, Kyung Mo
- Issue Date
- The Korean Radiological Society
- Korean J Radiol 2007;8:498-505
- Child; Child, Preschool; Contrast Media/administration & dosage; Female; Hamartoma/*diagnosis; Humans; Infant; Liver/*radiography/ultrasonography; Liver Neoplasms/*diagnosis; Male; Mesoderm/*radiography/ultrasonography; Observer Variation; Radiographic Image Enhancement/methods; Retrospective Studies; Tomography, X-Ray Computed/methods; Ultrasonography, Doppler, Color/methods
- OBJECTIVE: A hepatic mesenchymal hamartoma is an uncommon benign tumor in children and little is known about the spectrum of its radiological features. The purpose of this study is to describe the spectrum of radiological features of a hepatic mesenchymal hamartoma in children. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Thirteen children with a pathologically confirmed hepatic mesenchymal hamartoma (M:F = 7:6; mean age, 3 years 2 months) were included in our study. Ultrasonography (US) was performed in nine patients including color and power Doppler US (n = 7). CT scans were performed in all patients. We evaluated the imaging findings of the hepatic mesenchymal hamartomas and the corresponding pathological features. RESULTS: Each patient had a single tumor (mean diameter: 13 cm [1.8-20 cm]). On CT and/or US, four patients (31%) had a "multiseptated cystic tumor", five patients (38%) had a "mixed solid and cystic tumor", and four patients (31%) had a "solid tumor." The septa of the cystic portion were thin in the multiseptated cystic tumors and irregularly thick in the mixed solid and cystic tumors as seen on US. On a post-contrast CT scan, solid portions or thick septa of the tumors showed heterogeneous enhancement. The amount of hepatocytes was significantly different among the three tumor groups according to the imaging spectrum (p = 0.042). CONCLUSION: A hepatic mesenchymal hamartoma in children can show a wide spectrum of radiological features, from a multiseptated cystic tumor to a mixed solid and cystic tumor, and even a solid tumor.
- 1229-6929 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.