S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
The post-traumatic colour change of primary incisors: a colourimetric and longitudinal study
- Hyun, Hong-Keun; Shin, Teo Jeon; Kim, Young-Jae
- Issue Date
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PAEDIATRIC DENTISTRY Vol.26 No.4, pp. 291-300
- The post-traumatic colour change of primary incisors: a colourimetric and longitudinal study; 의약학
- Background. Tooth colour change after trauma has been described subjectively as ranging from yellow/pink to grey/black.
Aim. To investigate the longitudinal colourimetric change of post-traumatic discoloured primary incisor using an intraoral colourimeter.
Design. A total of 34 primary incisors from 15 boys and eight girls were studied. The mean post-injury day during clinic visits (SD) and number of visit was 205.4 (194.8) and 3.9 (2.0). CIE L* (lightness), a* (green-red) and b* (blue-yellow) of the maxillary primary incisors were measured at every visit. The colour difference (ΔE*(ab)) was calculated between the traumatized tooth and the control. Scatter graphs were made depicting the colour change of discoloured teeth and the ΔE*(ab) over time.
Results. Mean CIE L*, a* and b* of the unaffected control were 80.8 (2.29), 0.9 (0.77) and 13.1 (2.67), respectively. L* gradually decreased to 70.7 (on day 71), then slowly recovered. a* increased to 3.7 (day 29) and decreased slowly. b* only demonstrated a small change that was within the control range during the follow-up. ΔE*(ab) increased to 9.58 (day 56) and decreased slowly.
Conclusion. The earlier recovery of a* was followed by the recovery of L*. During the post-traumatic period, ΔE*(ab) failed to reach the clinically acceptable threshold.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.