S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Obstetrics & Gynecology (산부인과전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_산부인과학전공)
Lack of association of the cyclooxygenase-2 and inducible nitric oxide synthase gene polymorphism with risk of cervical cancer in Korean population
- Lee, Taek Sang; Jeon, Yong Tark; Kim, Jae Weon; Park, Noh Hyun; Kang, Soon Beom; Lee, Hyo Pyo; Song, Yong Sang
- Issue Date
- Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007 Jan;1095:134-42.
- Case-Control Studies; Cyclooxygenase 2/*genetics; Female; *Genetic Predisposition to Disease; Humans; Korea; Middle Aged; Nitric Oxide Synthase Type II/*genetics; *Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide; Uterine Cervical Neoplasms/enzymology/*genetics
- Currently, many studies have shown that nitric oxide (NO) and prostaglandin (PG) are main inflammatory mediators involved in a variety of pathophysiological processes including inflammation and carcinogenesis. In this article, we explored the possible association of polymorphisms, of two representative inflammatory mediators, with the risk for cervical cancer. This study included 176 cases of histologically confirmed invasive cervical cancer, and 172 healthy controls. Allele frequency of 12 single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and COX5 of the inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) genes in 43 different normal populations were analyzed. We found that 14 of 17 showed a monomorphic or minimal minor allele frequency; therefore, we did not continue with additional analysis. Three SNPs (2 for COX-2, 1 for iNOS) were chosen for the study. Genotyping of three SNPs (SNP-rs5275 in the untranslated region of exon 10 and rs5277 in the coding region of exon 3 of COX-2, and iNOS Ser(608)Leu allele C/T polymorphism within exon 16 of the iNOS reductase domain) was performed. No significant increase was found in any of the genotypes of the COX-2 or iNOS in the cancer group. We investigated the possible correlation between the genotypes and the clinicopathologic parameters of cervical cancer. No significant association of the genotypes studied was found with respect to clinical stage, lymph node (LN) status, histologic type, or parametrial invasion. Our data did not reveal an association between COX-2 and iNOS polymorphisms with cervical cancer in Korean women.
- 0077-8923 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.