S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Ophthalmology (안과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_안과학전공)
Effect of mechanical strain on human limbal epithelial cells in vitro
- Oh, Joo Youn; Jung, Kyoung Ah; Kim, Mee Kum; Wee, Won Ryang; Lee, Jin Hak
- Issue Date
- Taylor & Francis
- Curr Eye Res. 2006 Dec;31(12):1015-20.
- Blotting, Western; Cell Adhesion Molecules/*biosynthesis; Cell Shape; Cells, Cultured; Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay; Epithelial Cells/*physiology; Extracellular Matrix/*metabolism; Fibronectins/*biosynthesis; Humans; Limbus Corneae/*cytology; Stress, Mechanical
- PURPOSE: To investigate the effects of the mechanical cyclic strain on the extracellular matrix (ECM) production by cultivated human limbal epithelial cells (HLECs) in vitro. METHODS: HLECs were repetitively stretched and relaxed by 20% of their original length. Morphology of HLECs was observed, and concentrations of fibronectin and laminin V were measured. RESULTS: The strained HLECs were elongated and aligned perpendicular to the direction of force. Fibronectin and laminin V were highly expressed in the strain group compared with the control. CONCLUSIONS: Cyclic strain induces the synthesis of fibronectin and laminin V in cultivated HLECs.
- 0271-3683 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.