S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Urology (비뇨기과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_비뇨기과학전공)
Impact of self-perceived bothersomeness on health-related quality of life in women with overactive bladder symptoms
- Oh, Seung-June; Ku, Ja Hyeon
- Issue Date
- Urol Int. 2007;78(1):63-9.
- Adaptation, Psychological/*physiology; Adult; Aged; Female; Follow-Up Studies; *Health Status Indicators; Humans; Middle Aged; *Personality Inventory; Prospective Studies; Psychometrics; *Quality of Life; Questionnaires; Severity of Illness Index; Urinary Bladder, Overactive/*psychology
- INTRODUCTION: The objective of this study was to examine the impact of self-perceived bothersomeness of overactive bladder (OAB) symptoms on the health-related quality of life (QOL). PATIENTS AND METHODS: A total of 92 women with a mean age of 53.3 (range 23-79) years suffering from OAB were included in the study. The Medical Outcomes Study 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36) and King's Health Questionnaire (KHQ) were used to assess the QOL. The patients were divided into two groups according to the bothersomeness degree of OAB: 'low' and 'moderate' to 'high'. RESULTS: The SF-36 and the KHQ scores of the patients were significantly different from those of the controls (p <0.05), except for three domains of the SF-36. No difference in the results of the frequency-volume charts was observed between the two patient groups. The scores of the SF-36 and the KHQ domains did not correlate with the data of the frequency-volume charts. Significant differences were found between the two patient groups for most domains of the SF-36 (p <0.05). Significant differences were also detected in most domains of the KHQ (p <0.05). CONCLUSIONS: Objective data are not a sensitive tool for measuring the QOL in women with OAB symptoms. Our findings suggest that patient-perceived bothersomeness significantly influences QOL and that strategies for assessing bothersomeness should be developed to evaluate the QOL in these patients.
- 0042-1138 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.