S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Highly conductive, stretchable and biocompatible Ag–Au core–sheath nanowire composite for wearable and implantable bioelectronics
- Choi, Suji; Han, Sang Ihn; Jung, Dongjun; Hwang, Hye Jin; Lim, Chaehong; Bae, Soochan; Park, Ok Kyu; Tschabrunn, Cory M.; Lee, Mincheol; Bae, Sun Youn; Yu, Ji Woong; Ryu, Ji Ho; Lee, Sang-Woo; Park, Kyungpyo; Kang, Peter M.; Lee, Won Bo; Nezafat, Reza; Hyeon, Taeghwan; Kim, Dae-Hyeong
- Issue Date
- Nature Nanotechnology, Vol.13 No.11, pp.1048-1056
- Wearable and implantable devices require conductive, stretchable and biocompatible materials. However, obtaining composites that simultaneously fulfil these requirements is challenging due to a trade-off between conductivity and stretchability. Here, we report on Ag-Au nanocomposites composed of ultralong gold-coated silver nanowires in an elastomeric block-copolymer matrix. Owing to the high aspect ratio and percolation network of the Ag-Au nanowires, the nanocomposites exhibit an optimized conductivity of 41,850 S cm(-1) (maximum of 72,600 S cm(-1)). Phase separation in the Ag-Au nanocomposite during the solvent-drying process generates a microstructure that yields an optimized stretchability of 266% (maximum of 840%). The thick gold sheath deposited on the silver nanowire surface prevents oxidation and silver ion leaching, making the composite biocompatible and highly conductive. Using the nanocomposite, we successfully fabricate wearable and implantable soft bioelectronic devices that can be conformally integrated with human skin and swine heart for continuous electrophysiological recording, and electrical and thermal stimulation.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)