S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Material Science and Engineering (재료공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_재료공학부)
Phase Stability Study of Li1-xMnPO4 (0 <= x <= 1) Cathode for Li Rechargeable Battery
- Kim, Sung-Wook; Kim, Jongsoon; Gwon, Hyeokjo; Kang, Kisuk
- Issue Date
- Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Vol.156 No.8, pp.A635-A638
- cathodes; electron microscopy; lithium compounds; manganese compounds; secondary cells; solid-state phase transformations; X-ray diffraction
- The phase stability of Li1-xMnPO4 (0 <= x <= 1) is investigated in this study for different Li compositions and temperatures by high temperature X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy. The map of stable phases is determined at temperature ranges between room temperature and 410 degrees C. While pure LiMnPO4 phase is stable at high temperature, partial phase transformation of MnPO4 into Mn2P2O7 is observed in delithiated phases above 210 degrees C. Electron microscopy study also indicates the instability of the delithiated phase. The morphology of LiMnPO4 is severely damaged upon delithiation. The instability of the delithiated phase and the phase transformation into Mn2P2O7 may imply that safety concerns can be raised regarding the LiMnPO4 cathode, unlike its Fe counterpart.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.