Browse

A Phase II study of 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin systemic chemotherapy for inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma with α fetoprotein as a predictive and prognostic marker

Cited 0 time in Web of Science Cited 9 time in Scopus
Authors
Keam, Bhumsuk; Oh, Do-Youn; Lee, Se-Hoon; Kim, Dong-Wan; Im, Seock-Ah; Kim, Tae-You; Heo, Dae Seog; Bang, Yung-Jue
Issue Date
2008-05
Citation
Molecular Medicine Reports, Vol.1 No.3, pp.415-422
Keywords
hepatocellular carcinomaalpha fetoprotein5-fluorouracilcisplatinchemotherapy
Abstract
The objective of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin in patients with inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), and to evaluate the utility of alpha fetoprotein (AFP) as a marker in assessing response to systemic chemotherapy. Fifty-seven inoperable HCC patients were enrolled. The administered regimen consisted of 60 mg/m(2) cisplatin on day I followed by 1,200 mg/m(2) 5-fluorouracil on days 1-4, repeated every 3 weeks. One patient achieved a complete response (1.8%) and 7 a partial response (12.3%), an overall response rate of 14.1% and a disease control rate of 43.9%. Median time to progression (TTP) was 2.4 months, and median overall survival (OS) 9.8 months. The main grade 3 and 4 toxicities were leucopenia (10.5%), neutropenia (21.0%) and thrombocytopenia (8.8%). Of the 45 patients with an initially elevated AFP level, 15 (33.3%) showed a reduction of more than 50%. The disease control rate was significantly higher in AFP responders (80.0 vs. 23.3% in AFP non-responders, p<0.001), who moreover exhibited prolonged TTP (p=0.010). Combination chemotherapy of 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin showed modest disease control activity and acceptable toxicity in patients with inoperable HCC. Furthermore, AFP response may be a useful surrogate marker for clinical outcome.
ISSN
1791-2997
URI
http://hdl.handle.net/10371/165556
DOI
https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.1.3.415
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Appears in Collections:
College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원)Cancer Research Institute (암연구소)Journal Papers (저널논문_암연구소)
College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원)Internal Medicine (내과학전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
  • mendeley

Items in S-Space are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Browse