S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Ferrimagnetic Nanochains-Based Mesenchymal Stem Cell Engineering for Highly Efficient Post-Stroke Recovery
- Zhang, Tianyuan; Li, Fangyuan; Xu, Qianhao; Wang, Qiyue; Jiang, Xinchi; Liang, Zeyu; Liao, Hongwei; Kong, Xianglei; Liu, Jianan; Wu, Honghui; Zhang, Danping; An, Changhua; Dong, Liang; Lu, Yang; Cao, Hongcui; Kim, Dokyoon; Sun, Jihong; Hyeon, Taeghwan; Gao, Jianqing; Ling, Daishun
- Issue Date
- Advanced Functional Materials, Vol.29 No.24, p. 1900603
- ferrimagnetic iron oxide nanochains; genetic engineering; ischemic cerebrum homing; mesenchymal stem cells; post-stroke recovery
- Unsatisfactory post-stroke recovery has long been a negative factor in the prognosis of ischemic stroke due to the lack of pharmacological treatments. Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs)-based therapy has recently emerged as a promising strategy redefining stroke treatment; however, its effectiveness has been largely restricted by insufficient therapeutic gene expression and inadequate cell numbers in the ischemic cerebrum. Herein, a non-viral and magnetic field-independent gene transfection approach is reported, using magnetosome-like ferrimagnetic iron oxide nanochains (MFIONs), to genetically engineer MSCs for highly efficient post-stroke recovery. The 1D MFIONs show efficient cellular uptake by MSCs, which results in highly efficient genetic engineering of MSCs to overexpress brain-derived neurotrophic factor for treating ischemic cerebrum. Moreover, the internalized MFIONs promote the homing of MSCs to the ischemic cerebrum by upregulating CXCR4. Consequently, a pronounced recovery from ischemic stroke is achieved using MFION-engineered MSCs in a mouse model.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)