S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Comparative study of upconverting nanoparticles with various crystal structures, core/shell structures, and surface characteristics
- Park, Yong Il; Nam, Sang Hwan; Kim, Jeong Hyun; Bae, Yun Mi; Yoo, Byeongjun; Kim, Hyung Min; Jeon, Ki-Seok; Park, Hyo Sun; Choi, Joon Sig; Lee, Kang Taek; Suh, Yung Doug; Hyeon, Taeghwan
- Issue Date
- Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol.117 No.5, pp.2239-2244
- Upconverting nanoparticles (UCNPs) have been studied as novel bioimaging probes owing to the absence of autofluorescence and excellent photostability. For practical applications, biocompatible UCNPs with high upconversion efficiency, bright luminescence, and good colloidal stability are desirable. Herein, we report a quantitative and systematic study on the upconversion luminescence from a set of NaYF4:Yb3+,Er3+-based nanopartides by varying crystal structures, core/shell structures, and surface ligands. Upconversion luminescent properties in colloidal solution and at the single-particle level were examined. Hexagonal-phase core/shell UCNPs exhibited the most intense luminescence among various structures, while the excellent photostability was observed in all different types of UCNPs. To optimize the biomedical imaging capability of UCNPs, various surface coating strategies were tested. By quantitative spectroscopic measurements of surface-modified UCNPs in water, it was suggested that encapsulation with polyethylene glycol (PEG)-phospholipid was found to be effective in retaining both upconversion luminescence intensity and dispersibility in aqueous environment. Finally, UCNPs with different crystal structures were applied and compared in live cells.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)