S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Program in Cancer Biology (협동과정-종양생물학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_협동과정-종양생물학전공)
GSTM1 and TNF-alpha gene polymorphisms and relations between blood lead and inflammatory markers in a non-occupational population
- Kim, Jin Hee; Lee, Kwan-Hee; Yoo, Dong Ho; Kang, Daehee; Cho, Soo-Hun; Hong, Yun-Chul
- Issue Date
- Mutat Res. 2007 Apr 20;629(1):32-9. Epub 2007 Jan 13.
- Adult; Alleles; Biological Markers/blood; Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay; Female; Glutathione Transferase/*genetics; Humans; Inflammation/*blood; Interleukin-6/blood; Lead/*blood; Leukocyte Count; Male; Polymerase Chain Reaction; *Polymorphism, Genetic; Polymorphism, Restriction Fragment Length; Students; Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha/blood/*genetics
- Inflammation is known to be an important underlying condition in the development of a variety of diseases. To investigate whether blood lead induces inflammatory reactions in non-occupationally exposed adults and the effects of genetic susceptibility associated with GSTM1 and TNF-alpha gene polymorphisms on this inflammatory response, we measured blood lead levels in 300 healthy university students. Total serum TNF-alpha and IL-6 levels and WBC counts were determined to evaluate the inflammatory response. Allelic loss of GSTM1 and the TNF-alpha-308 G>A polymorphism were determined by PCR and RFLP. Positive relations between blood lead and three inflammation biomarkers were shown in male subjects with blood lead > or =2.51microg/dl (median value) (TNF-alpha, p=0.015; IL-6, p=0.082; and WBC, p=0.044). However, subgroup analysis by genotype showed an effect of blood lead on the three biomarkers only in individuals with the GSTM1 null (TNF-alpha, p=0.020; IL-6, p=0.096; and WBC, p=0.017) or TNF-alpha GG (TNF-alpha, p=0.017; IL-6, p=0.088; and WBC, p=0.095) genotype, and not in individuals with GSTM1 present (all three inflammatory biomarkers, p>0.1) or the TNF-alpha GA or AA (all three biomarkers, p>0.1) genotype. These results suggest that blood lead affects the inflammatory response and that GSTM1 and TNF-alpha gene polymorphisms are genetic factors associated with lead-induced inflammatory response.
- 0027-5107 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.