S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Anatomy (해부학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_해부학전공)
The multiple dorsoventral origins and migratory pathway of tectal oligodendrocytes in the developing chick
- Kim, Dong Woon; Park, Sang Wook; Jeon, Gye Sun; Seo, Je Hoon; Golden, Jeffrey A.; Cho, Sa Sun
- Issue Date
- Brain Res. 2006 Mar 3;1076(1):16-24. Epub 2006 Feb 13.
- Age Factors; Amino Acids/diagnostic use; Animals; Body Patterning/*physiology; Cell Differentiation/physiology; Cell Movement/*physiology; Cells, Cultured; Chick Embryo; Eye Enucleation/methods; Functional Laterality/physiology; Homeodomain Proteins/metabolism; Immunohistochemistry/methods; O Antigens/metabolism; Oligodendroglia/*physiology; Retroviridae/physiology; Stem Cells/*physiology; Superior Colliculi/*cytology; Transcription Factors/metabolism
- Oligodendrocytes have been considered to originate in a restricted ventricular zone of the ventral neural tube and to migrate and mature in their final targets. However, recent studies indicate that oligodendrocytes arise from multiple distinct dorsoventral origins. In this study, we investigate oligodendrocyte lineage cells in the embryonic optic tectum of chick, which develops from the dorsal region of the neural tube and invasion of optic tract. Oligodendrocyte precursor cells (OPCs) first appeared bilaterally on either side of the floor plate at E5. With further development, OPCs increased and spread laterally and dorsally to populate the optic tectum. At E7, OPCs appeared in another site along the ventral midline of the third ventricle, just dorsal to the optic chiasm. To examine the migration routes of these ventrally derived OPCs, we used DiI tracing in the organic culture and retinal denervation. Our results reveal that OPCs dispersed bilaterally along the optic tract and then migrated to the optic tectum in the stratum opticum (SO). In addition to these extrinsic OPCs, OPCs intrinsic to the tectal ventricle zone were identified at E14 using a combination of immunohistochemistry and retroviral mediated lineage tracing studies. These data support stage-specific dorsoventral origins and distribution of oligodendrocytes populating the optic tectum.
- 0006-8993 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.