Browse

Management of gastric lymphoma with chemotherapy alone

Cited 5 time in Web of Science Cited 8 time in Scopus
Authors
OH, D Y; Choi, I S; Kim, J H; Rhu, M H; Kim, T Y; Heo, D S; Bang, Y J; Kim, N K
Issue Date
2005-08-20
Publisher
Taylor & Francis
Citation
Leuk Lymphoma. 2005 Sep;46(9):1329-35.
Keywords
Antineoplastic Combined Chemotherapy Protocols/adverseeffects/*therapeutic useFemaleHumansLymphoma/*drug therapy/radiotherapyMaleMiddle AgedPrognosisRadiotherapy, AdjuvantStomach Neoplasms/*drug therapy/radiotherapySurvival Rate
Abstract
PURPOSE: The optimal therapy for gastric lymphoma except MALToma has not yet been established. This study was undertaken to investigate whether gastric lymphoma can be managed effectively and safely with chemotherapy alone.PATIENTS AND METHODS: A total of 58 patients (median age 56 years) with newly diagnosed gastric lymphoma between 1989--2001 at Seoul National University Hospital and who were initially managed with chemotherapy alone were evaluated. MALToma was excluded from the pathologic review.RESULTS: All patients received initially anthracycline-containing chemotherapy. ECOG performance scale 0--1 was 88% and B symptoms were present in 41.4%. Diffuse large B cell type was the most common (74.1%). Stage IE, II1E accounted for 51.7% and II2E, IIIE, IV for 48.3%. The international prognostic index (IPI) of risk was low in 39.7%, low-intermediate in 22.4%, high-intermediate in 15.5% and high in 22.4%. The complete response rate after first-line chemotherapy was 71.4% and the partial response rate was 12.2%. (overall response rate: 83.6%). Among patients who did not reach the complete response, a further complete response was achieved by second-line chemotherapy including etoposide-based regimen. Ultimately, the maximum complete response rate by chemotherapy was 83.7% (92% in stage IE, II1E, 75% in stage II2E, IIIE, IV). Median overall survival was 47.4 months (84.7 months in stage IE, II1E, 32.5 months in stage II2E, IIIE, IV) and the 5-year survival rate was 46%. Bleeding as a complication occurred in 3 of 58 patients (5.6%) and these cases were controlled by embolization or conservative management. No perforation episode occurred and surgical intervention due to complication was not necessary. Organ preservation was possible in 57 of 58 patients (98%). The one gastrectomy was performed due to a partial clinical response to chemotherapy but the specimen showed pathologic CR. Multivariate analysis revealed that only IPI had a significant influence on survival.CONCLUSIONS:Gastric lymphoma except MALToma can be managed effectively and safely with chemotherapy alone.
ISSN
1042-8194 (Print)
Language
English
URI
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&list_uids=16109611

http://hdl.handle.net/10371/28916
DOI
https://doi.org/10.1080/10428190500155652
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Appears in Collections:
College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원)Internal Medicine (내과학전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
  • mendeley

Items in S-Space are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Browse