S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Type 2 diabetes-associated genetic variants discovered in the recent genome-wide association studies are related to gestational diabetes mellitus in the Korean population
- Cho, Y M; Kim, T H; Lim, S; Choi, S H; Shin, H D; Lee, H K; Park, K S; Jang, H C
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- Diabetologia. 2009 Feb;52(2):253-61. Epub 2008 Nov 11.
- Chromosome Mapping; Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2/*genetics; Diabetes, Gestational/*genetics; Female; *Genetic Variation; *Genome, Human; *Genome-Wide Association Study; Humans; Korea; Male; *Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide; Pregnancy; Proteins/genetics; RNA-Binding Proteins/genetics
- AIMS/HYPOTHESIS: New genetic variants associated with susceptibility to type 2 diabetes mellitus have been discovered in recent genome-wide association (GWA) studies. The aim of the present study was to examine the association between these diabetogenic variants and gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM). METHODS: The study included 869 Korean women with GDM and 345 female and 287 male Korean non-diabetic controls. We genotyped the single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) rs7756992 and rs7754840 in CDKAL1; rs564398, rs1333040, rs10757278 and rs10811661 in the CDKN2A-CDKN2B region; rs8050136 in FTO; rs1111875, rs5015480 and rs7923837 in HHEX; rs4402960 in IGF2BP2; and rs13266634 in SLC30A8. In addition, rs7903146 and rs12255372 in TCF7L2; rs5215 and rs5219 in KCNJ11; and rs3856806 and rs1801282 in PPARG were genotyped. The genotype frequencies in the GDM patients were compared with those in the non-diabetic controls. RESULTS: Compared with controls (men and women combined), GDM was associated with rs7756992 and rs7754840 (OR 1.55, 95% CI 1.34-1.79, p = 4.17 x 10(-9)) in CDKAL1; rs10811661 (OR 1.49, 95% CI 1.29-1.72, p = 1.05 x 10(-7)) in the CDKN2A-CDKN2B region; rs1111875 (OR 1.27, 95% CI 1.09-1.49, p = 0.003), rs5015480, and rs7923837 in HHEX; rs4402960 (OR 1.18, 95% CI 1.01-1.38, p = 0.03) in IGF2BP2; rs13266634 (OR 1.24, 95% CI 1.07-1.43, p = 0.005) in SLC30A8; and rs7903146 (OR 1.58, 95% CI 1.03-2.43, p = 0.038) in TCF7L2. The risk alleles of the SNPs rs7756992 and rs7754840 in CDKAL1; rs10811661 in the CDKN2A-CDKN2B region; and rs1111875, rs5015480 and rs7923837 in HHEX were associated with significant decreases in the insulin AUC during a 100 g OGTT performed at the time of diagnosis of GDM. CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION: Some of the type 2 diabetes-associated genetic variants that were discovered in the recent GWA studies are also associated with GDM in Koreans.
- 1432-0428 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.