S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Preventive Medicine (예방의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_예방의학전공)
Influence of NQO1, ALDH2, and CYP2E1 genetic polymorphisms, smoking, and alcohol drinking on the risk of lung cancer in Koreans
- Eom, Sang-Yong; Zhang, Yan Wei; Kim, Sung-Hoon; Choe, Kang-Hyeon; Lee, Kye Young; Park, Jung-Duck; Hong, Yun-Chul; Kim, Yong-Dae; Kang, Jong-Won; Kim, Heon
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- Cancer Causes Control 20(2):137-145
- Alcohol Drinking/*adverse effects; Aldehyde Dehydrogenase/*genetics; Asian Continental Ancestry Group/genetics; Case-Control Studies; Cytochrome P-450 CYP2E1/*genetics; Female; Genetic Predisposition to Disease; Genotype; Humans; Lung Neoplasms/etiology/*genetics; Male; Middle Aged; NAD(P)H Dehydrogenase (Quinone)/*genetics; Polymerase Chain Reaction; Polymorphism, Restriction Fragment Length; Risk Factors; Smoking/*adverse effects
- OBJECTIVES: We investigated the association of genetic polymorphisms of NQO1, ALDH2, CYP2E1, and the combined genotype of these genes on lung cancer risk, and also evaluated the association after stratification by cumulative smoking amounts and alcohol drinking levels. METHODS: The case-control study was performed in 387 lung cancer patients and 387 age- and sex-matched cancer-free controls. Direct interview was conducted and the genotypes of NQO1, ALDH2, and CYP2E1 were investigated using PCR-RFLP or 5'-nuclease activity assay. RESULTS: The proportion of individuals with occupational history of mining was significantly higher in cases than in controls. The risk of lung cancer was significantly lower in light-drinkers (<108 g/week) than non-drinkers. The NQO1 Pro/Ser + Ser/Ser genotype showed an increased risk for lung cancer with a marginal significance (OR = 1.35, 95% CI = 0.99-1.86) compared with NQO1 Pro/Pro genotype. In heavy-smokers, the combination of NQO1 Pro/Ser + Ser/Ser and CYP2E1 c1/c1 genotype was associated with a significantly increased risk for lung cancer (OR = 2.25, 95% CI = 1.14-4.43) compared with those of NQO1 Pro/Pro and CYP2E1 c1/c2 + c2/c2 genotype. We found a significant interaction between alcohol drinking level and the CYP2E1 genotype (P = 0.0227). CONCLUSIONS: Our result suggests that the risk of lung cancer is affected by smoking, alcohol drinking, and the genetic polymorphism of NQO1. In particular, genetic polymorphisms for NQO1, CYP2E1, and ALDH2 synergistically with cumulative smoking amounts and alcohol drinking levels interact in the carcinogenesis of lung cancer in Koreans.
- 1573-7225 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.