S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Mechanical Aerospace Engineering (기계항공공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_기계항공공학부)
Accurate computations of Arc-Heater Flows Using Two-Equation Turbulence Models
- Lee, Jeong-Il; Kim, Chongam; Kim, Kyu-Hong
- Issue Date
- Journal of thermophysics and heat transfer. vol.21, no.1
- Plasma flow; Spacecraft; Reentry; Navier Stokes equation; Heat transfer; Numerical simulation; Modeling; Aerodynamic heating; Arc heating; Turbulence structure
- A new time marching solver, ARCFLO4, has been developed to analyze the flows in arc heaters. Governing equations are the hyperbolic-type axisymmetric Navier-Stokes equations including Joule heating, radiation, and turbulence models. To investigate the effect of turbulence models, k-e, k-w, and k-w SST turbulence models are introduced into ARCFLO4. Throughout vast numerical calculations of the Aerodynamic Heating Facility and the Interaction Heating Facility at the NASA Ames Research Center, the k-e turbulence model combined with the three-band radiation model exhibited good agreement with experiment data. In addition, it is confirmed that the turbulence effect plays a significant role in determining arc-heater flow physics.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.