S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Medicine (의학과) The Seoul Journal of Medicine The Seoul Journal of Medicine Vol. 03 No.2 (1962)
Serologic Studies of Japanese Encephalitis in Domestic Animals and Chickens
- Lee, Kyu Myung; Lee, Ho Wang; Park, Chin Yung; Pyun, Kum Kge; Park, Dae Kyoon; Kim, Chin Soo; Chung, Yung Chai
- Issue Date
- Seoul J Med 1962;3(2):5-9
- Occurrence of hemagglutination-inhibition CHI)
antibodies to Japanese encephalitis (JE) virus was studied among various domestic animals and chickens
in or near Seoul area. The times of sample .collection
were mid-October to early Nevember, 1961Horses,
consisting of 53 adults and one colt, were bled
from jugular vein. Blood serum samples from cattle
and hogs were collected at the abatoir, Seoul, their
estimated ages being 3 to 5 years and 6 to 15
months respectively. Most dogs bled were less than
one year of age. Blood samples of chickens, mostly
of broiler age, were obtained by cardiac puncture
prior to slaughter. The results obtained are summarized
1. Of 54 horses, 47(87%) were found to possess
demonstrable HI antibodies.
2. Eighty-two of 92 cattle serum samples (89%)
tested were positive.
3. HI antibodies were detected from 33 of 37
swine samples(90%), the levels of titer being the
highest of all animal groups tested.
4. Tests of 48 dog serum samples revealed 8 positive
5. In regard to chicken samples, only one of 136
had a low (1:10) HI titer.
6. Implications of these findings in the ecology of
JE near Seoul were discussed.