S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
The heme oxygenase-1 genotype is a risk factor to renal impairment of IgA nephropathy at diagnosis, which is a strong predictor of mortality
- Chin, Ho Jun; Cho, Hyun Jin; Lee, Tae Woo; Na, Ki Young; Yoon, Hyung Jin; Chae, Dong-Wan; Kim, Suhnggwon; Jeon, Un Sil; Do, Jun-Young; Park, Jong-Won; Yoon, Kyung-Woo; Shin, Young-Tai; Lee, Kang Wook; Na, Ki-Ryang; Cha, Dae Ryong; Kang, Young Sun
- Issue Date
- Korean Academy of Medical Science
- J Korean Med Sci. 2009 Jan;24 Suppl:S30-7. Epub 2009 Jan 28.
- Adult; Disease Progression; Female; Gene Frequency; Genotype; Glomerular Filtration Rate; Glomerulonephritis, IGA/*genetics/mortality/*pathology; Heme Oxygenase-1/*genetics; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; Odds Ratio; Polymorphism, Genetic; Promoter Regions, Genetic; Risk Factors
- The induction of heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) ameliorates oxidative stress and inflammatory process, which play important roles in IgA nephropathy. We hypothesized length polymorphism in the promoter region of the HO-1 gene, which is related to the level of gene transcription, is associated with disease severity of IgA nephropathy. The subjects comprised 916 patients with IgA nephropathy and gene data. Renal impairment was defined as an estimated glomerular filtration rate less than 60 mL/min/1.73 m(2) at diagnosis. The short (S: <23), medium (M: 23-28), and long (L: >28) (GT) repeats in the HO-1 gene was determined. The frequencies of S/S, S/M, M/M, S/L, L/M, and L/L genotypes were 7.2%, 6.9%, 3.1%, 30.8%, 22.7%, and 29.4%, respectively. The baseline characteristics were not different. In the S/S genotypic group, the renal impairment rate was 18.2%, which was lower than 32.2% in the group with M/M, L/M, or L/L genotype. The odds ratio of renal impairment in S/S genotype, compared to that in M/M, L/M, or L/L genotype, was 0.216 (95% confidence interval, 0.060-0.774, p=0.019). The HO-1 gene promoter length polymorphism was related to the renal impairment of IgA nephropathy at diagnosis, which is an important risk factor for mortality in IgA nephropathy patients.
- 1011-8934 (Print)