S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Microbiology (미생물학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_미생물학전공)
Parameters for successful pig islet isolation as determined using 68 specific-pathogen-free miniature pigs
- Kim, Hyoung-Il; Lee, Song-Yi; Jin, Sang Man; Kim, Kang Seok; Yu, Jae Eun; Yeom, Su-Cheong; Yoon, Tai Wook; Kim, Jae Hyeon; Ha, Jongwon; Park, Chung-Gyu; Kim, Sang-Joon
- Issue Date
- Xenotransplantation. 2009; 16(1): 11-18
- Animals; Biopsy; Collagenases/pharmacology; Female; Humans; Islets of Langerhans/drug effects/pathology/*surgery; *Islets of Langerhans Transplantation; Male; Multivariate Analysis; Regression Analysis; Sex Characteristics; Specific Pathogen-Free Organisms; Swine; Swine, Miniature/*surgery; Thermolysin/pharmacology; Tissue and Organ Harvesting/*methods; Transplantation, Heterologous
- BACKGROUND: Islet cell transplantation is a novel therapeutic modality for the cure of diabetes. Pig islet cells are an attractive substitute for human islet cells; however, they are known to be particularly difficult to isolate because of a weak islet capsule and a tendency to be fragmented during enzymatic digestion. Therefore, parameters favoring successful pig islet isolation were investigated using specific-pathogen-free (SPF) miniature pigs. METHODS: Sixty-eight SPF miniature pigs were used for islet isolation. Birth weight, body weight, age, sex, pregnancy history, and the fasting blood glucose levels of each pig were determined. Each pig's general condition was assessed with regard to feeding status and physical activity. Pancreas procurement was performed by one surgical team. Anesthesia duration, operation duration, procedure quality, and perfusate type were recorded. After pancreatectomy, a biopsy was performed for islet density analysis. Decapsulation, cannulation duration, degree of distension, and cold ischemic time were assessed. During islet isolation, pancreas weight, digestion time, and digested tissue proportion were recorded. Isolation results were evaluated by total islet equivalents (IEQ), islet equivalents per gram of pancreas (IEQ/g), isolation index, islet recovery rate, purity, and visual grade. To identify the predictors of higher islet isolation yield, we performed binary logistic regression analysis with significant (P < 0.05) variables from the univariate analysis. RESULTS: The pigs were categorized into high (n = 34) and low yield (n = 34) groups according to the median IEQ/g or total IEQ values. Body weight and age were significantly different between the two groups. Being male or a positive history of pregnancy in females was factors favoring successful islet isolation. General condition assessments failed to estimate islet isolation results. Long anesthesia duration, which might have caused ischemic injury to the pancreas, negatively affected islet isolation results. Decapsulation, cannulation duration, and subsequent pancreas distension were significantly important in successful islet isolation. Inter-lot variability of Liberase was not observed because of screening processes performed before purchase. Isolation index and islet recovery rate correlated well with islet yields. CONCLUSIONS: Multivariate analysis using total IEQ and IEQ/g as outcome variables indicated that age older than 2, being male and moderate distension by Liberase injection are major determinants influencing successful islet isolation.
- 1399-3089 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.