S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Architecture and Architectural Engineering (건축학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_건축학과)
Automatic computation for optimum height planning of apartment buildings to improve solar access
- Seong, Yoon-Bok; Kim, Yong-Yee; Choi, Jeong-Min; Seok, Ho-Tae; Kim, Kwang-Woo; Yeo, Myoung-Souk
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- SOLAR ENERGY; Vol.85 1; 154-173
- The objective of this study is to suggest a mathematical model and an optimal algorithm for determining the height of apartment buildings to satisfy the solar rights of survey buildings or survey housing units. The objective is also to develop an automatic computation model for the optimum height of apartment buildings and then to clarify the performance and expected effects. To accomplish the objective of this study, the following procedures were followed: (1) The necessity of the height planning of obstruction buildings to satisfy the solar rights of survey buildings or survey housing units is demonstrated by analyzing through a literature review the recent trend of disputes related to solar rights and to examining the social requirements in terms of solar rights. In addition, the necessity of the automatic computation system for height planning of apartment buildings is demonstrated and a suitable analysis method for this system is chosen by investigating the characteristics of analysis methods for solar rights assessment. (2) A case study on the process of height planning of apartment buildings will be briefly described and the problems occurring in this process will then be examined carefully. (3) To develop an automatic computation model for height planning of apartment buildings, geometrical elements forming apartment buildings are defined by analyzing the geometrical characteristics of apartment buildings. In addition, design factors and regulations required in height planning of apartment buildings are investigated. Based on this knowledge, the methodology and mathematical algorithm to adjust the height of apartment buildings by automatic computation are suggested and probable problems and the ways to resolve these problems are discussed. Finally, the methodology and algorithm for the optimization are suggested. (4) Based on the suggested methodology and mathematical algorithm, the automatic computation model for optimum height of apartment buildings is developed and the developed system is verified through the application of some cases. The effects of the suggested model are then demonstrated quantitatively and qualitatively. (C) 2010 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.