SHERP

A Nationwide Survey on the Prevalence of Intestinal Parasitic Infections in the Republic of Korea, 2004

Cited 15 time in webofscience Cited 0 time in scopus
Authors
Kim, Tong-Soo; Cho, Shin-Hyeong; Huh, Sun; Kong, Yoon; Lee, Soon-Hyung; Oh, Dae-Kyu; Lee, Jong-Koo; Park, Yun-Kyu; Chai, Jong-Yil; Hwang, Seung-Sik; Sohn, Woon-Mok
Issue Date
2009-03
Publisher
KOREAN SOC PARASITOLOGY, SEOUL NATL UNIV COLL MEDI
Citation
KOREAN JOURNAL OF PARASITOLOGY; Vol.47 1; 37-47
Keywords
Clonorchis sinensisMetagonimus yokogawaihumanintestinal parasitesfecal examinationnationwide statistical dataRepublic of Korea
Abstract
National surveys on the prevalence of intestinal parasitic infections have been carried out every 5-7 years since 1971 in the Republic of Korea in order to establish control measures. The present nationwide survey was conducted from June to December 2004. The 10% population sampling data of Population and Housing Census by the Korean government in 2000 was used as the survey population. One sample was selected randomly from each of the 22,858 registered subjects, and a total of 20,541 people were ultimately included in this survey. Fecal examinations were performed by the cellophane thick smear and saturated brine flotation techniques. Pinworm infection was examined by cello-tape anal swab method. This survey also included a questionnaire study for a socioeconomic analysis. The total helminth egg positive rate was 3.7%, and the estimated total positive number among nationwide people was 1,780,000. The rates in urban and rural areas were 3.1% and 6.8%, respectively. As the total egg positive rate in the 6th survey in 1997 was 2.4%, the present survey showed that there was a considerable degree of increase in the prevalence rate of intestinal parasitic infections over the 7-year period following the 6th survey. The largest increases occurred in the egg positive rates of Clonorchis sinensis and heterophyids including Metagonimus yokogawai.
ISSN
0023-4001
Language
English
URI
http://hdl.handle.net/10371/77582
DOI
https://doi.org/10.3347/kjp.2009.47.1.37
Files in This Item:
Appears in Collections:
College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원)Parasitology and Tropical Medicine (기생충학전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_기생충학전공)
  • mendeley

Items in S-Space are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Browse