S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
HLA-B*5901 is strongly associated with methazolamide-induced Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Kim, Sae-Hoon; Kim, Myunghwa; Lee, Kyung Wha; Kim, Sang-Heon; Park, Heung-Woo; Jee, Young-Koo; Kang, Hye-Ryun
- Issue Date
- FUTURE MEDICINE LTD
- PHARMACOGENOMICS; Vol.11 6; 879-884
- carbonic anhydrase inhibitor; toxic epidermal necrolysis; human leukocyte antigen; methazolamide; Stevens-Johnson syndrome
- Aims: The carbonic anhydrase inhibitor methazolamide infrequently causes Stevens Johnson syndrome (SJS) and toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN). An association between these diseases and the HLA-B59 serotype has been suggested in case reports. This study examined the disease-associated B*59 allele and investigated the association of these diseases with other HLA class I alleles. Methods: We performed high-resolution HLA-A, -B and -C genotyping in five patients with methazolamide-induced SJS/TEN using a PCR-sequencing-based typing method and analyzed the association between HLA-class I alleles and occurrence of methazolamide-induced SJS/TEN. Results: B*5901 and Cw*0102 alleles were observed in all patients and A*2402 was observed in four patients. The B*5901 allele showed the strongest association with methazolamide-induced SJS/TEN (p < 0.001; odds ratio: 249.8; 95% Cl: 13.4-4813.5), followed by Cw*0102 (p = 0.004; odds ratio: 22.1; 95% Cl: 1.2-414.3), when compared with the general population as a control. The frequency of the patients carrying B*5901, Cw*0102 and A*2402 simultaneously was significantly higher than that in the general population (p < 0.001; odds ratio: 110.1; 95% Cl: 11.7-1038.6). Conclusion: A strong association was observed between HLA-B*5901 and methazolamide-induced SJS/TEN in Korean patients. HLA-B*5901 may be a useful screening marker for predicting methazolamide-induced SJS/TEN in patients of Korean and Japanese ancestry.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.