S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pathology (병리학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_병리학전공)
Radiosurgery for Atypical and Anaplastic Meningiomas: Histopathological Predictors of Local Tumor Control
- Kim, Jin Wook; Kim, Dong Gyu; Paek, Sun Ha; Chung, Hyun-Tai; Myung, Jae Kyung; Park, Sung-Hye; Kim, Yong Hwy; Han, Jung Ho; Yang, Seung-Yeob; Park, Chul-Kee; Jung, Hee-Won
- Issue Date
- STEREOTACTIC AND FUNCTIONAL NEUROSURGERY Vol.90 No.5, pp. 316-324
- 복합학; Radiosurgery; Local tumor control; Atypical meningioma; Anaplastic meningioma; Prognostic factor
- Objectives: We investigated the radiosurgical outcomes of patients with nonbenign meningiomas retrospectively and sought to identify prognostic factors for local tumor control after radiosurgery with an emphasis on histopathology. Methods: Between 1998 and 2010, 35 patients with 49 atypical or anaplastic meningiomas were treated with radiosurgery. The mean tumor volume and marginal irradiation dose were 3.5 cm(3) (range 0.3-25.3) and 16 Gy (range 12-21), respectively. Results: The actuarial local tumor control rates for patients with atypical meningiomas at 1, 2 and 3 years after radiosurgery were 78, 53 and 36%, respectively, whereas those for anaplastic meningiomas were 35% at 1 year and 10% at 2 years. Multivariate analysis revealed that the mitotic count (<= 8 per 10 high-power fields; HPF) and the MIB-1 proliferation marker labeling index (LI; <= 8%) were significant favorable prognostic factors for the radiosurgical outcomes of patients with nonbenign meningiomas (p = 0.014 and p = 0.012, respectively). Conclusions: Radiosurgery could be a treatment option for patients with atypical meningiomas, but more aggressive treatments are needed for those with anaplastic meningiomas. Histopathological factors such as mitotic count and MIB-1 LI are significant prognostic factors for the radiosurgical outcomes of patients with nonbenign meningiomas and should be considered before radiosurgery. Copyright (C) 2012 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.