S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
Micro-Computed Tomography and Scanning Electron Microscopy Comparisons of Two Nickel-Titanium Rotary Root Canal Instruments Used With Reciprocating Motion
- Kim, Hee-Chul; Hwang, You-Jeong; Jung, Da-Woon; You, Sung-Yeop; Kim, Hyeon-Cheol; Lee, WooCheol
- Issue Date
- Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
- Scanning Vol.35 No.2, pp. 112-118
- 의약학; micro-computed tomography; reciprocating motion; apical transportation; single-file technique; microcrack; metallurgic property
- The single-file root canal instrumentation technique using reciprocating motion has been gaining concern. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to compare the shaping ability of single ProTaper F2 file and WaveOne Primary file when they were used in the curved root canal with reciprocation motion and to investigate the durability of the file after use with a scanning electron microscopy (SEM). Changes in structure model index (SMI), root canal volume, curvature, surface area, and degree of transportation were measured from the cross-sectional images of the prepared canals using the micro-CT system with an isotropic resolution of 16 m. Results showed that there were no differences in the changes of root canal volume, surface area, and SMI between the two file groups after the preparation (p > 0.05). The ProTaper group showed a curvature straightening value of 25.45 +/- 12.51%, while the WaveOne group showed 27.30 +/- 10.91%, and there was no statistically significant difference (p > 0.05). The transportation values between the two groups showed no significant differences (p > 0.05). SEM revealed that 60% of ProTaper files showed initiation of microcracks on the surface while those were detected on the only one WaveOne file. The single-file technique using either WaveOne Primary or ProTaper F2 can be safely used under each reciprocating motion without creating an increased apical transportation in curved canals. However, the metallurgic property resists cyclic fatigue was more favorable with WaveOne under the scanning evaluation.
- 0161-0457 (print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.