S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering (컴퓨터공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_컴퓨터공학부)
An Efficient Implementation of the BSP Programming Library for Via
- Kee, Yangsuk; Ha, Soonhoi
- Issue Date
- World Scientific Publishing
- Parallel Processing Letters 12(1) (2002), 65-77
- Bulk Synchronous Parallel; Virtual Interface Architecture; parallel programming library; light-weight protocol; cluster
- Virtual Interface Architecture(VIA) is a light-weight protocol for protected user-level
zero-copy communication. In spite of the promised high performance of VIA, previous
MPI implementations for GigaNet’s cLAN revealed low communication performance.
Two main sources of such low performance are the discrepancy in the communication
model between MPI and VIA and the multi-threading overhead. In this paper, we
propose a new implementation of the Bulk Synchronous Parallel(BSP) programming
library for VIA called xBSP to overcome such problems. To the best of our knowledge,
xBSP is the first implementation of the BSP library for VIA. xBSP demonstrates that
the selection of a proper library is important to exploit the features of light-weight
protocols. Intensive use of Remote Direct Memory Access(RDMA) operations leads to
high performance close to the native VIA performance with respect to round trip delay
and bandwidth. Considering the effects of multi-threading, memory registration, and
completion policy on performance, we could obtain an efficient BSP implementation for
cLAN, which was confirmed by experimental results.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.