S-Space College of Social Sciences (사회과학대학) Institute for Korean Regional Studies (국토문제연구소) 지리학논총 별호 지리학논총 별호 Volume 22/23/24/25/26 (1997)
서울시 토지이용에서 위치이용의 지역적 특성과 도심부 소규모사업장의 존재양식
Regional Differentiation of Land Use, and Inner-city Small Workplace in Seoul Metropolitan
- Issue Date
- 서울대학교 국토문제연구소
- 지리학논총 별호, Vol.22, pp. 1-201
- Seoul Metropolitan land use; Marxist rent theory; locational rent; land use combination; subsistence mode of small workplace; formation of network land rent; network production system; 서울시 토지이용; 맑스주의 지대론; 위치이점과 위치지대; 토지이용 결합유형; 제조-사무업무 공간분화; 네트워크 생산체계; 소규모사업장의 존재양식
- This study follows the logic of capitalist production of location to investigate the regional differentiation of land use in Seoul Metropolitan. The dustering districts of inner-city small workplace is a character among the Seoul land use patterns, and the subsistence mechanism of small workplace is empirically investigated in this study. The most important results of the current project can be summarized as follows.
(1) From a theoretical point of view, Marxist urban land rent theory and bid-rent theory have a flaw in the consideration of the specific attributes of location. Therefore, this study formulates a system of the form and its change of location advantages in terms of capitalist production. The network land rent is suggested as an alternative theoretical framework, which embraces the urban industrial restructuring and the changes of production system.
(2) Regional disparity in rent is greater than that of the total floor space of buildings, and from the highest hierarchy of rent level at the central city it is concluded that the inter-regional relocation of location advantages has not taken place. On the basis of the total floor space, Kangnam region has risen to a new center, but its locational value is still lower in the hierarchy. Therefore, these results show that there are spatial division of labor between the central city and the Kangnam region.
(3) The industrial land use(the total floor space) is localized extremely and, what is more, the incresed floor space is localized on the limited localities. In the land use combination to indicate the competition of land uses, the combination types are oriented to services, wholesale and retail trade, restaurants and hotels, housing and commerce in the greater part of locality, namely, neighborhood and consumption -oriented land use pattern. In the cases of FIRE, business services, and office the central city stays predominant over the location competition with other uses. Traditional manufacturing belt is still dominant land use for manufacturing, factory and warehouse, but also inner-city is characteristic of higher combination rate with manufacturing.
(4) In the division between the real production function and the office function of manufacturing establishments, the office function goes on increasing in workers and the total floor space. This pattem shows the post-industrial trend of Seoul land use. Mean‘'while, the traditional manufacturing belt and the inner-city show the marked percentage in the real production function(worker, floor space) and small workplace(1-4 employees) regarded as real production facilities is concentrated in the inner-city.
(5) On the basis of linkage and capital form, the subsistence mode of small workplace at the inner-city subdivide into three types. First, there is such land-use mode as printing industries where the production capital takes a leading role in the total production system and main attributes of the mode are horizontal. subcontracting(symbiotic relationship), local integration, production process oriented network. Second, in the cases of machinery-metal industries, production capital and commercial capital coexist in the local production system. This type occupies the inner-city land centering around horizontal subcontracting of intra-inter industry, inter-sectoral linkage, and the spatial division of labor between the inner-city and the suburb. Third, as commercial capital has taken a leading role in the total production system, apparel industries do not keep the factories at the inner-city. Instead, the factories are located in housing area and the production process is maintained by social network.
(6) The locational advantages of inner-city small workplace are industrial milieu (a notable tradition, a symbolic meaning, common use of information, informal labor market and social solidarity), production network, and different industrial linkages. These locational advantages can be distinguished from traditional accessebility, and agglomeration economies and regarded as new exploitation lnode of location, and network location advantage(surplus). But these advantages function as the barrier of accumulation of small capital due to the contradiction between capital and landed property. Capitalist land uses are as likely to contribute to the problems as resolve it.
This study argues that the land use cycle such as inner-city problems and gentrification cannot be applicated to Seoul Metropolitan, and that the fonnation of network land rent, which is based on the network locational surplus, come into existence.