S-Space College of Law/Law School (법과대학/대학원) The Law Research Institute (법학연구소) Journal of Korean Law Journal of Korean Law Volume 15 Number 1/2 (2015/2016)
Litigating Personal Data Disclosures against Information and Telecommunication Service Providers: A Korea-US Comparison
- Phillips, Joe; Lee, Se-In
- Issue Date
- School of Law, Seoul National University
- Journal of Korean Law, Vol.15 No.1, pp. 191-235
- Personal information disclosures; Identity theft; Protection of personal information; Claims for personal information disclosures; Damages for personal information disclosures
- Millions of Korean and US consumers have sought remedies for the unauthorized disclosure of personal information by Internet-based information and telecommunication service providers (ITSPs). Courts and legislatures in Korea and the United States are fashioning legal claims and remedies to address these disclosures. We contribute to this evolution with a unique comparative analysis of the law in Korea and the United States, across three areas: (1) the definition of ‘personal information;’ (2) possible causes of action; and (3) available remedies. We compare and contrast the two countries’ legal approaches to disclosures, enriching our understanding of both jurisdictions. This article will help scholars, courts, and practitioners in Korea and the United States find an appropriate balance between consumer protection and commercial freedom. We conclude our paper by suggesting ways to improve the law’s effectiveness and efficiency in addressing the exponential technological developments in information communication.