S-Space College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (농업생명과학대학) Dept. of Food and Animal Biotechnology (식품·동물생명공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_식품·동물생명공학부)
Transformation of somatic cells into stem cell-like cells under a stromal niche
- Lee, Seung Tae; Gong, Seung Pyo; Yum, Kyung Eun; Lee, Eun Ju; Lee, Chae Hyun; Choi, Jun Hee; Kim, Dae Yong; Han, Hojae; Kim, Kye-Seong; Hysolli, Eriona; Ahn, Ji Yeon; Park, In-Hyun; Han, Jae Yong; Jeong, Jae-Wook; Lim, Jeong Mook
- Issue Date
- FASEB Journal, vol.27 no.7, pp. 2644-2656
- genetic and cellular plasticity; colony-forming fibroblasts; eprogramming; pluripotency; microenvironment
- To study the genomic plasticity of somatic cells without ectopic genetic manipulation, we cultured mouse fibroblasts with ovarian cells, embryonic fibroblasts of different strains, and parthenogenetic embryonic stem cells (ESCs). Of 41 trials, cell aggregation resembling nascent ESC colony from inner cell mass was detected in 9 cases (22%), and 6 cases (67%) yielded fibroblast-derived colonies with ESC morphology. Cells used in coculture provided the critical (P=0.0061) inducing factor for the aggregation. These colony-forming fibroblasts (CFFs) showed similar characteristics to those in ESCs and induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), including pluripotency gene expression, in vitro differentiation, and teratoma formation. Furthermore, CFFs produced somatic chimera, although none showed germline chimerism. CFFs had a tetraploid-like karyotype, and their imprinting patterns differed from parthenogenetic ESCs, thereby confirming their nongermline transmissibility. We observed dysregulation of cell cycle-related proteins, as well as both homologous and heterologous recombination of genomic single-nucleotide polymorphisms in CFFs. Our observations provide information on somatic cell plasticity, resulting in stemness or tumorigenesis, regardless of colony-forming cell progenitors in the fibroblast population. The plasticity of somatic genomes under environmental influences, as well as acquisition of pluripotency by cell fusion, is also implicated.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.