S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Radiology (영상의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_영상의학전공)
VX2 carcinoma in rabbits after radiofrequency ablation: comparison of MR contrast agents for help in differentiating benign periablational enhancement from residual tumor
- Kim, Tae Jung; Moon, Woo Kyung; Cha, Joo Hee; Goo, Jin Mo; Lee, Kyoung Ho; Kim, Keon Ha; Lee, Joon Woo; Han, Joon Goo; Weinmann, Hanns-Joachim; Chang, Kee Hyun
- Issue Date
- Radiological Society of North America
- Radiology 2005; 234:423–430.
- PURPOSE: To prospectively compare the accuracy of a blood pool agent, SH L 643A, with that of gadopentetate dimeglumine in differentiating benign periablational enhancement from residual tumor in VX2 carcinomas in rabbits after radiofrequency (RF) ablation. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Experiment was approved by the animal care committee. Sequential MR images were obtained before and with SH L 643A (17 000 Da, 0.05 mmol/kg) and, after a 24-hour interval, gadopentetate dimeglumine (546 Da, 0.1 mmol/kg) in 12 rabbits with VX2 carcinoma in the back muscle prior to (n = 12) and early (n = 12), 1 week (n = 8), and 4 weeks (n = 4) after RF ablation. RF ablation was performed with output of 90 W but at less than 300 seconds to ensure incomplete tumor ablation. The pathologic specimens were sectioned in the same plane as MR imaging, and the enhancement ratios (ie, the ratios of postcontrast to precontrast signal intensity) and the microvessel densities of residual tumor and benign periablational enhancement were assessed. RESULTS: With SH L 643A, the peak enhancement ratios of residual tumor (1.64 +/- 0.31 [standard deviation]) were significantly higher than those of benign periablational enhancement (0.97 +/- 0.16) (P < .001). With gadopentetate dimeglumine, the peak enhancement ratios of residual tumor (1.82 +/- 0.33) were not different from those of benign periablational enhancement (1.71 +/- 0.36). In benign periablational enhancement, enhancement ratios with injection of SH L 643A were lower than those with injection of gadopentetate dimeglumine for all time points up to 30 minutes (P < .05). The microvessel density was 25.72 +/- 5.43 vessels per field of view for residual tumor and 10.37 +/- 2.88 vessels per field of view for benign periablational enhancement (P < .001). CONCLUSION: Blood pool contrast agent SH L 643A permits more accurate differentiation of benign periablational enhancement from residual tumor compared with the extracellular agent gadopentetate dimeglumine.
- 0033-8419 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.