S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Radiation Applied Life Science (대학원 협동과정 방사선응용생명과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_방사선응용생명과학전공)
Local recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after segmental transarterial chemoembolization: risk estimates based on multiple prognostic factors
- Park, Seung Hyun; Cho, Yun Ku; Ahn, Yong-Sik; Park, Yoon-Ok; Kim, Jae Kyun; Chung, Jin Wook
- Issue Date
- The Korean Radiological Society
- Korean J Radiol 2007;8(2):111-119
- Adult; Aged; Carcinoma, Hepatocellular/*pathology/radiography/*therapy; Chemoembolization, Therapeutic/*methods; Chi-Square Distribution; Female; Humans; Iodized Oil/administration & dosage; Liver Neoplasms/*pathology/radiography/*therapy; Male; Middle Aged; Neoplasm Recurrence, Local/radiography; Prognosis; Retrospective Studies; Risk Factors; Tomography, X-Ray Computed
- OBJECTIVE: To determine the prognostic factors for local recurrence of nodular hepatocellular carcinoma after segmental transarterial chemoembolization. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Seventy-four nodular hepatocellular carcinoma tumors < or = 5 cm were retrospectively analyzed for local recurrence after segmental transarterial chemoembolization using follow-up CT images (median follow-up of 17 months, 4-77 months in range). The tumors were divided into four groups (IA, IB, IIA, and IIB) according to whether the one-month follow-up CT imaging, after segmental transarterial chemoembolization, showed homogeneous (Group I) or inhomogeneous (Group II) iodized oil accumulation, or whether the tumors were located within the liver segment (Group A) or in a segmental border zone (Group B). Comparison of tumor characteristics between Group IA and the other three groups was performed using the chi-square test. Local recurrence rates were compared among the groups using the Kaplan-Meier estimation and log rank test. RESULTS: Local tumor recurrence occurred in 19 hepatocellular carcinoma tumors (25.7%). There were: 28, 18, 17, and 11 tumors in Group IA, IB, IIA, and IIB, respectively. One of 28 (3.6%) tumors in Group IA, and 18 of 46 (39.1%) tumors in the other three groups showed local recurrence. Comparisons between Group IA and the other three groups showed that the tumor characteristics were similar. One-, two-, and three-year estimated local recurrence rates in Group IA were 0%, 11.1%, and 11.1%, respectively. The difference between Group IA and the other three groups was statistically significant (p = 0.000). CONCLUSION: An acceptably low rate of local recurrence was observed for small or intermediate nodular tumors located within the liver segment with homogeneous iodized oil accumulation.
- 1229-6929 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.