S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pathology (병리학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_병리학전공)
Risk factors for local tumor recurrence after segmental transarterial chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma: the importance of tumor located in the segmental border zone
- Issue Date
- The Korean Radiological Society
- Korean J Radiol 2006;7:267-274
- Liver neoplasms ; therapy chemoembolization ; Carcinoma, Hepatocellular/*pathology/*therapy ; Chi-Square Distribution ; Doxorubicin/administration & dosage ; Iodized Oil/administration & dosage ; Neoplasm Recurrence, Local ; Proportional Hazards Models ; Retrospective Studies ; Chemoembolization, Therapeutic
- OBJECTIVE: We wanted to evaluate whether tumors located in a segmental border zone are predisposed to local recurrence after performing segmental transarterial chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Seventy-three hepatocellular carcinoma nodules were retrospectively analyzed for local tumor recurrence after performing segmental transarterial chemoembolization by using follow-up CT studies (median follow-up period: 20 months, range: 4-77 months). The tumors were divided into two groups according to whether the lesions were located at the segmental border zone (Group I) or not (Group II). Comparison of the tumor characteristics and chemoembolization methods between the two groups was performed using the chi-square test. The local recurrence rates were compared by Kaplan-Meyer method and analyzed with the log rank test. RESULT: Local tumor recurrence occurred for 25 hepatocellular carcinoma nodules (42.9%). The follow-up periods, tumor characteristics and chemoembolization methods between Groups l and ll were comparable. The local recurrence rate was 64.0% (16/25) in Group I and 18.8% (9/48) in Group II. The difference was statistically significant on the univariate and multivariate analyses (p = 0.000 for both). CONCLUSION: Tumor location in a segmental border zone was a significant risk factor for local tumor recurrence after performing segmental transarterial chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma.
- 1229-6929 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.