S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering (전기·정보공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_전기·정보공학부)
A design framework for hierarchical ensemble of multiple feature extractors and multiple classifiers
- Kim, Kyounghoon; Lin, Helin; Choi, Jin Young; Choi, Kiyoung
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- Pattern Recognition, Vol.52, pp. 1-16
- A design framework for hierarchical ensemble of multiple feature extractors and multiple classifiers; 자연과학; Ensemble of detection systems; Multiple feature extractors; Multiple classifiers; Pedestrian detection; Reinforcement learning; Bayesian network
- It is well-known that ensemble of classifiers can achieve higher accuracy compared to a single classifier system. This paper pays attention to ensemble systems consisting of multiple feature extractors and multiple classifiers (MFMC). However, MFMC increases the system complexity dramatically, leading to a highly complex combinatorial optimization problem. In order to overcome the complexity while exploiting the diversity of MFMC, we suggest in this paper a hierarchical ensemble of MFMC and its optimizing framework. By constructing local groups of feature extractors and classifiers and then combining them as a global group, the approach achieves a better scalability. Both reinforcement machine learning and Bayesian networks are adopted to enhance the accuracy. We apply the proposed method to vision based pedestrian detection and recognition of handwritten numerals. Experimental results show that the proposed framework outperforms the previous ensemble methods in terms of accuracy. (C) 2015 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.