S-Space Graduate School of International Agricultural Technology (국제농업기술대학원) Dept. of International Agricultural Technology (국제농업기술학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_국제농업기술학과)
Characterization of fish gelatin-gum arabic complex coacervates as influenced by phase separation temperature
- Anvari, Mohammad; Pan, Cheol-Ho; Yoon, Won-Byong
- Issue Date
- Elsevier B.V.
- International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, Vol.79, pp. 894-902
- 자연과학; Fish gelatin–gum arabic complex; coacervation; Phase separation temperature; Oscillatory shear
- he rheological and structural characteristics of fish gelatin (FG)–gum arabic (GA) complex coacervate phase, separated from an aqueous mixture of 1% FG and 1% GA at pH 3.5, were investigated as influenced by phase separation temperature. Decreasing the phase separation temperature from 40 to 10 °C lead to: (1) the formation of a coacervate phase with a larger volume fraction and higher biopolymer concentrations, which is more viscous, more structural resistant at low shear rates, more shear-thinning at high shear rates, and more condensed in microstructure, (2) a solid-like elastic behavior of the phase separated at 10 °C at a high oscillatory frequency, (3) the increase in gelling and melting temperatures of the coacervate phase (3.7−3.9 °C and 6.2−6.9 °C, respectively), (4) the formation of a more rigid and thermo-stable coacervate gel. The coacervate phase is regarded as a homogeneously networked biopolymer matrix dispersed with water vacuoles and its gel as a weak physical gel reinforced by FG–GA attractive electrostatic interactions.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.