S-Space College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (농업생명과학대학) Dept. of Landscape Architecture and Rural System Engineering (생태조경·지역시스템공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_생태조경·지역시스템공학부)
Screening tool to assess adequacy of bridge timber pile bents during extreme scour events
- Schambeau, Mary E.; Ramey, George E.; Hughes, Mary L.; Kang, Junsuk
- Issue Date
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, Vol.19 No.3, pp. 1-12
- Screening tool to assess adequacy of bridge timber pile bents during extreme scour events; 자연과학; Bridges; Bridge bents; Bridge failure; Scour; Timber piles
- Timber substructure bridges supported by three, four, or five piles were commonly used in Alabama in the past for secondary and county highway bridges. Because of the large number of such bridges in the state, the Alabama DOT recently developed a screening tool to assist its engineers in assessing the adequacy of bridge pile bents for extreme flood and scour events. The evaluation procedure employed in the screening tool is presented in this paper through the following sequence: (1) preliminary or general checks; (2) possible kick-out or plunging failure; (3) bent pile buckling failure; (4) transverse pushover failure from combined vertical gravity and lateral floodwater loadings; and (5) bent upstream pile beam-column failure from combined vertical gravity and lateral debris raft loadings. This paper discusses the theoretical background for the equations used to evaluate each failure mode in the timber screening tool, in addition to describing the flow of the screening process.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.