S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Surgery (외과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_외과학전공)
Genetic polymorphisms of NOS3 are associated with the risk of invasive breast cancer with lymph node involvement
- Lee, Kyoung-Mu; Choi, Ji-Yeob; Lee, Jong Eun; Noh, Dong-Young; Ahn, Sei-Hyun; Han, Wonshik; Yoo, Keun-Young; Hayes, Richard B; Kang, Daehee
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2007 Dec;106(3):433-8. Epub 2007 Jan 30
- Adult; Aged; Breast Neoplasms/*genetics/pathology; Case-Control Studies; Female; Genetic Predisposition to Disease; Humans; Lymphatic Metastasis; Middle Aged; Nitric Oxide Synthase Type III/*genetics; *Polymorphism, Genetic; Risk
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (NOS3) produces nitric oxide which is a mediator of cytotoxic effects potentially associated with breast cancer. We evaluated the role of genetic polymorphisms of NOS3 in breast cancer etiology, in a case-control study conducted in Korea. We recruited 1,385 eligible patients with histologically confirmed incident breast cancer cases and 968 hospital-based controls. Two potentially functional NOS3 polymorphisms in the promoter region (-786T > C) and exon 7 (894G > T, Glu298Asp) were genotyped and individual haplotypes were estimated. Odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidential intervals (95% CIs) were calculated by unconditional logistic regression, adjusting for age, body mass index, education, family history of breast cancer in first and second degree relatives, age at first full-term pregnancy and parity. There was no overall association between the -786T > C or 894G > T genotype and breast cancer risk. However, the -786C allele was marginally associated with decreased risk for invasive breast cancer with lymph node involvement (OR = 0.76, 95% CI = 0.56-1.04). And, compared to TG-TG carriers, all other haplotype pairs were significantly associated with invasive breast cancer with lymph node involvement (OR = 0.77, 95% CI = 0.59-0.99). Our results suggest that genetic polymorphisms in NOS3 modify individual susceptibility to invasive breast cancer with lymph node involvement in Korean women.
- 0167-6806 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.