S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Urology (비뇨기과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_비뇨기과학전공)
Voiding patterns in men and women with lower urinary tract symptoms combined with nocturia
- Paick, Jae-Seung; Kim, Soo Woong; Oh, Seung-June; Ku, Ja Hyeon
- Issue Date
- Blackwell Publishing
- Int J Urol. 2007 Aug;14(8):699-703.
- Adult; Age Factors; Aged; Aged, 80 and over; Female; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; Nocturia/*physiopathology; Severity of Illness Index; *Sex Characteristics; Sex Factors; *Urination; Urination Disorders/*physiopathology; Urine
- AIM: We evaluated differences between men and women with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) combined with nocturia. METHODS: A total of 71 age-matched female-male pairs (median 58, range 20-81 years) who had moderate to severe LUTS and nocturia of more than once per night were enrolled in this study. RESULTS: In the younger group (<50 years), the International Prostate Symptom Score (I-PSS) results of the sexes were not significantly different. However, although total I-PSS results in the elderly group (> or =50 years) were not significantly different, quality of life index scores for women were higher (P = 0.002). On frequency-volume (FV) charts, mean total daytime voided volume (DVV) was significantly higher in younger men than in younger women (P = 0.017), but the mean nocturnal polyuria index (NPi) for women was higher than that for men (P = 0.047). However, maximum DVV (P = 0.009), mean DVV (P < 0.0001), total DVV (P < 0.0001), and mean nocturnal urine volume (P = 0.009) were significantly higher in elderly men than in elderly women. However, numbers of daytime voids were not different. CONCLUSION: Elderly women with LUTS have lower functional bladder capacities than elderly men, as suggested by their smaller mean voided volumes. However, no significant differences were observed between numbers of daytime voids, which was probably due to the smaller total daytime voided volumes of elderly women. In addition, although NPi for younger women and nocturnal urine volume for elderly men was higher, no other differences were observed in terms of other night-time parameters.
- 0919-8172 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.