S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Iron oxide nanoclusters for T-1 magnetic resonance imaging of non-human primates
- Lu, Yang ; Xu, Yun-Jun ; Zhang, Guo-bing ; Ling, Daishun ; Wang, Ming-quan ; Zhou, Yong ; Wu, Ya-Dong ; Wu, Tao ; Hackett, Michael J. ; Kim, Byung Hyo ; Chang, Hogeun ; Kim, Jonghoon ; Hu, Xin-Tian ; Dong, Liang ; Lee, Nohyun ; Li, Fangyuan ; He, Jia-Cai ; Zhang, Li ; Wen, Hui-Qin ; Yang, Bo ; Choi, Seung Hong ; Hyeon, Taeghwan ; Zou, Duo-Hong
- Issue Date
- Nature Biomedical Engineering, Vol.1 No.8, pp.637-643
- Iron-oxide-based contrast agents for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) had been clinically approved in the United States and Europe, yet most of these nanoparticle products were discontinued owing to failures to meet rigorous clinical requirements. Significant advances have been made in the synthesis of magnetic nanoparticles and their biomedical applications, but several major challenges remain for their clinical translation, in particular large-scale and reproducible synthesis, systematic toxicity assessment, and their preclinical evaluation in MRI of large animals. Here, we report the results of a toxicity study of iron oxide nanoclusters of uniform size in large animal models, including beagle dogs and the more clinically relevant macaques. We also show that iron oxide nanoclusters can be used as T-1 MRI contrast agents for high-resolution magnetic resonance angiography in beagle dogs and macaques, and that dynamic MRI enables the detection of cerebral ischaemia in these large animals. Iron oxide nanoclusters show clinical potential as next-generation MRI contrast agents.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)