S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Enhancement of neurite outgrowth in PC12 cells by iron oxide nanoparticles
- Kim, Jeong Ah; Lee, Nc Hyun; Kim, Byung Hyo; Rhee, Won Jong; Yoon, Sungjun; Hyeon, Taeghwan; Park, Tai Hyun
- Issue Date
- Biomaterials, Vol.32 No.11, pp.2871-2877
- Neurite outgrowth; Iron oxide nanoparticle; Neuronal differentiation; Extracellular matrix; Cell adhesion
- Despite the many potential therapeutic applications of iron oxide nanoparticle such as its use as an imaging and targeting tool, its biological effects have not yet been extensively characterized. Herein, we report that iron oxide nanoparticles taken up by PC12 cells can enhance neurite outgrowth. PC12 cells exposed to both iron oxide nanoparticles and nerve growth factor (NGF) synergistically increased the efficiency of neurite outgrowth in a dose-dependent manner. This may have resulted from the activation of cell adhesion molecules that are associated with cell matrix interactions through iron. Immunoblotting assays also revealed that both neural specific marker protein and cell adhesion protein expression were upregulated by iron oxide nanoparticles compared with non-treated cells via activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) signaling pathway. Our findings point to the possibility that iron oxide nanoparticles can affect cell substrate interactions and regulate cell behaviors, which provides clinical insights into potential neurologic and therapeutic applications of iron oxide nanoparticles. (C) 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)