S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Immunology (면역학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_면역학전공)
Bronchoalveolar lavage eosinophil cationic protein and interleukin-8 levels in acute asthma and acute bronchiolitis
- Kim, C. K.; Kim, S. W.; Kim, Y. K.; Kang, H.; Yu, J.; Yoo, Y.; Koh, Y. Y.
- Issue Date
- Clin Exp Allergy. 2005 May;35(5):591-7.
- Acute Disease; Asthma/*metabolism; Bronchiolitis/*metabolism; Bronchoalveolar Lavage Fluid/*chemistry/cytology; Bronchoscopy/methods; Child, Preschool; Eosinophil Cationic Protein/*analysis; Eosinophils/chemistry; Female; Humans; Interleukin-8/*analysis; Macrophages/chemistry; Male; Neutrophils/chemistry
- OBJECTIVE: In this study, we measured the levels of eosinophil cationic protein (ECP) and interleukin (IL)-8 in bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid from patients with acute asthma and acute bronchiolitis, to determine any similarities or dissimilarities in the profiles of these biochemical markers in the two diseases. METHODS: BAL fluids were obtained from children with acute asthma (n=16), infants with acute bronchiolitis caused by respiratory syncytial virus (n=18), and control subjects (n=14). Children with asthma were selected to be free of viral infection. BAL cell counts and differentials were determined, and ECP and IL-8 levels were measured by radioimmunoassay and ELISA, respectively. RESULTS: ECP levels in BAL fluids were significantly higher in the asthma group than in the bronchiolitis (P<0.01) or control (P<0.0001) groups. However, IL-8 levels were significantly higher in the bronchiolitis group than in the asthma (P<0.01) or control (P<0.001) groups. IL-8 levels in the asthma group and ECP levels in the bronchiolitis group were similar to those of the control group. CONCLUSION: This difference in profiles of ECP and IL-8 in acute asthma and acute bronchiolitis, together with a different inflammatory cell pattern, suggests that the nature of the inflammatory process within the lower respiratory tract may be distinctive in these two diseases.
- 0954-7894 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.