S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Immunology (면역학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_면역학전공)
Association between bronchodilating response to short-acting beta-agonist and non-synonymous single-nucleotide polymorphisms of beta-adrenoceptor gene
- Cho, S. H.; Oh, S. Y.; Bahn, J. W.; Choi, J. Y.; Chang, Y. S.; Kim, Y. K.; Min, K. U.; Kim, Y. Y.
- Issue Date
- Clin Exp Allergy. 2005 Sep;35(9):1162-7.
- Adolescent; Albuterol/*diagnostic use; Asthma/*genetics; Bronchodilator Agents/*diagnostic use; Chi-Square Distribution; Child; Female; Haplotypes; Homozygote; Humans; Korea; Male; Pharmacogenetics; *Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide; Receptors, Adrenergic, beta/*genetics; Respiratory Sounds; Skin Tests; Spirometry
- BACKGROUND: With beta-agonists being the most widely used agents in the treatment of asthma, in vitro studies reported that beta(2)-adrenergic receptor (ADRB2) polymorphisms are associated with agonist-promoted down-regulation. OBJECTIVE: The present population-based study aimed to evaluate the association between bronchodilating response to inhaled short-acting beta-agonist and two non-synonymous single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of ADRB2 (ADRB2-16 and ADRB2-27). METHODS: Two hundred and nine children with reduction in forced expiratory volume in 1 s of more than 20% on methacholine bronchial challenge underwent bronchodilating response testing 5 min after the inhalation of 200 mug of albuterol. Of these 209, 195 gave peripheral blood for genotyping of ADRB2 polymorphisms. RESULTS: The bronchodilating response was significantly higher in subjects with the homozygous Arg16 than in those with the homozygous Gly16. It was further demonstrated that haplotype pairs of the homozygous Arg16Gln27 and of the heterozygous Arg16Gln27/Gly16Glu27 showed the highest bronchodilating responses, and the haplotype pairs of the homozygous Gly16Gln27 the lowest response. As a whole, the bronchodilating response was more positively associated with the combined quantity of Arg16 and Glu27 polymorphisms than with that of Arg16 alone. CONCLUSION: Non-synonymous SNPs of ADRB2 at codons 16 and 27 is significantly associated with bronchodilating response to inhaled short acting beta-agonists.
- 0954-7894 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.