S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pediatrics (소아과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_소아과학전공)
Follow-up of Shelhigh porcine pulmonic valve conduits
- Kim, Woong-Han; Min, Sun Kyung; Choi, Chang Hyu; Lee, Jeong Ryul; Kim, Yong Jin; Bae, Eun-Jung; Noh, Chung Il
- Issue Date
- Ann Thorac Surg. 2007 Dec;84(6):2047-50.
- Adolescent; *Bioprosthesis; Child; Child, Preschool; Female; Follow-Up Studies; Heart Defects, Congenital/*surgery; *Heart Valve Prosthesis; Heart Ventricles/surgery; Humans; Infant; Infant, Newborn; Male; Pulmonary Artery/surgery; Pulmonary Valve/*transplantation; Reoperation; Ventricular Outflow Obstruction/*surgery
- BACKGROUND: We implanted Shelhigh porcine pulmonic valve conduits because of the limited availability of homografts in our country. The aim of this study was to evaluate the short-term results of SPVC. METHODS: From November 2002 to July 2005, the Shelhigh porcine pulmonic valve conduit was implanted in 73 patients (81 procedures) in the right ventricular outflow tract to correct congenital heart diseases. Operative procedures were Rastelli operation in 65, anatomic correction of atrioventricular discordance in 5, and Ross operation in 3. Age at operation was 6.8 +/- 7.5 years, including 11 patients under 1 year. The median conduit size was 18 mm (range, 12 to 24 mm). RESULTS: There was no operative mortality and 1 nonconduit-related late death (mean follow-up, 11.3 +/- 10.7 months). Ten conduits (12.3%, 7 patients) were removed at a median of 9.6 months (range, 2.5 to 25.4) owing to obstruction in 9 and pseudoaneurysm in 1. In the explanted conduits, we found a prominent intimal peel at the distal anastomosis without leaflet calcification. Freedom from reoperation at 24 months was 87% +/- 11.7% in large-sized conduits (>or=18 mm) and 62.8% +/- 10.6% in small-sized conduits (or=18 mm) fail after 2 years of implantation due to intimal peel formation at the distal segment.
- 1552-6259 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.