S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Development and validation of a functional dyspepsia-related quality of life (FD-QOL) scale in South Korea
- Lee, Eun-Hyun; Hahm, Ki-Baik; Lee, Jun Haeng; Park, Jong-Jae; Lee, Dong Ho; Kim, Seong Kook; Choi, Seok Reyol; Lee, Soo Teik
- Issue Date
- J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006 Jan;21(1 Pt 2):268-74.
- Adult; Aged; *Dyspepsia/psychology; Female; Humans; Korea; Male; Middle Aged; Psychometrics; *Quality of Life; *Questionnaires
- BACKGROUND: Quality of life (QOL) in patients with functional dyspepsia in South Korea has never been studied, mostly due to the lack of a psychometrically validated disease-specific instrument for measuring the QOL. The aim of the present study was to develop and validate a QOL scale for patients with functional dyspepsia. METHODS: A Functional Dyspepsia-Related QOL (FD-QOL) scale was developed and validated as follows: item generation, pilot test, and psychometric test. Patients with functional dyspepsia (n = 220) were recruited from seven university hospitals. The participants were asked to complete the preliminary item-generated FD-QOL, the Short Form-36 (SF-36), and the Index of Dyspepsia Symptoms-Korean (IDS-K). The data were analyzed using factor analysis, correlation, anova, and Cronbach's alpha. RESULTS: Twenty-three items were generated based upon content validity. Factor analysis extracted a four-factor solution, and two items were deleted because they were not loaded significantly on any factor. The FD-QOL was correlated with the SF-36 subscales, of which scores were differentiated according to the levels of dyspepsia symptoms. Cronbach's alpha of the FD-QOL was 0.94. CONCLUSIONS: The FD-QOL scale is a rapid and easily applicable instrument with excellent psychometric properties of content, factorial, convergent, and known-groups validity, and internal consistency reliability in Korean patients with functional dyspepsia.
- 0815-9319 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.