S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Psychiatry (정신과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_정신과학전공)
Depression in vascular dementia is quantitatively and qualitatively different from depression in Alzheimer's disease
- Park, J H; Lee, S B; Lee, T J; Lee, D Y; Jhoo, J H; Youn, J C; Choo, I H; Choi, E A; Jeong, J W; Choe, J Y; Woo, J I; Kim, K W
- Issue Date
- Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2007;23(2):67-73. Epub 2006 Nov 15.
- Aged; *Alzheimer Disease/diagnosis/epidemiology/psychology; Brain/blood supply; Brain Ischemia/diagnosis/epidemiology; Cerebrovascular Circulation; *Dementia, Vascular/diagnosis/epidemiology/psychology; Demography; *Depression/diagnosis/epidemiology/psychology; Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders; Female; Humans; Male; Prevalence; Questionnaires; Severity of Illness Index
- BACKGROUND/AIMS: To compare the prevalence and characteristics of depression in vascular dementia (VaD) and Alzheimer's disease (AD) after adjusting for dementia severity and gender. METHODS: One hundred and eight pairs of VaD and AD patients matched for dementia severity and gender were assessed. RESULTS: Major depressive disorder (MDD) was more prevalent in the VaD group than in the AD group (20.4% in VaD, 10.2% in AD, p = 0.04, Cochran-Mantel-Haenszel, CMH, test) regardless of the dementia severity and gender. The odds ratio for developing MDD in the VaD group versus the AD group was estimated to be 2.20 (95% confidence interval = 1.02-4.74). Neurovegetative symptoms such as 'felt tired and weak all the time' (30.6% in VaD, 13.9% in AD, p = 0.003, CMH test) and 'changed weight without trying' (16.7% in VaD, 6.5% in AD, p = 0.02, CMH test) were more prevalent in the VaD group than in the AD group. CONCLUSION: Depression in VaD was quantitatively and qualitatively different from that in AD regardless of the severity of dementia and gender; depression was more prevalent, severer and more retarded and vegetative in VaD than in AD.
- 1420-8008 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.