S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Molecular and Genomic Medicine (분자유전체의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_분자유전체의학전공)
Involvement of glycogen synthase kinase-3beta in palmitate-induced human umbilical vein endothelial cell apoptosis
- Choi, Sung-E; Kang, Yup; Jang, Hyun-Ju; Shin, Ha-Chul; Kim, Hyo-Eun; Kim, Hyo-Soo; Kim, Hae Jin; Kim, Dae Jung; Lee, Kwan-Woo
- Issue Date
- J Vasc Res. 2007;44(5):365-74. Epub 2007 May 4.
- Adenoviridae/genetics; Anthracenes/pharmacology; Apoptosis/*drug effects; Caspase 3/metabolism; Cell Cycle/drug effects; Cells, Cultured/cytology/drug effects; Cytosol/chemistry; Endothelial Cells/cytology/*drug effects; Endothelium, Vascular/*cytology; Enzyme Activation/drug effects; Fumonisins/pharmacology; Genetic Vectors/pharmacology; Glycogen Synthase Kinase 3/antagonists & inhibitors/genetics/*physiology; Humans; Imidazoles/pharmacology; Indoles/pharmacology; Lithium Chloride/pharmacology; Maleimides/pharmacology; Mitochondria/chemistry; Palmitates/*pharmacology; Phosphorylation; Phosphoserine/metabolism; Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerases/metabolism; Protein Processing, Post-Translational/drug effects; Pyridines/pharmacology; Thiadiazoles/pharmacology; Transduction, Genetic; Umbilical Veins
- BACKGROUND/AIMS: The death of endothelial cells may play a critical role in the development of various vascular diseases, including atherosclerosis. While free fatty acids (FFAs) may stimulate endothelial apoptosis, the molecular and cellular mechanisms of this effect have not been studied intensively. To elucidate the mechanisms involved in FFA-induced endothelial cell apoptosis, we investigated the effect of different pharmacological inhibitors on palmitate-induced apoptosis in human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs). Interestingly, lithium, a glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3) inhibitor, showed a strong protective effect. METHODS AND RESULTS: To examine the involvement of GSK-3beta in palmitate-induced HUVEC apoptosis, its dephosphorylation at Ser9 and enzymatic activation in response to palmitate treatment were monitored by immunoblotting and in vitro kinase assays, respectively. GSK-3beta was dephosphorylated and its enzymatic activity increased in palmitate-treated HUVECs. In addition, pretreatment with other GSK-3beta inhibitors, e.g. SB216763 or TDZD-8, as well as adenoviral transduction with a catalytically inactive GSK-3beta had significant protective effects against palmitate-induced HUVEC apoptosis. CONCLUSION: These results demonstrate that the GSK-3beta signalling pathway is involved in palmitate-induced HUVEC apoptosis.
- 1423-0135 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.