S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Molecular and Genomic Medicine (분자유전체의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_분자유전체의학전공)
Forkhead factor, FOXO3a, induces apoptosis of endothelial cells through activation of matrix metalloproteinases
- Lee, Hae-Young; You, Hyun-Jung; Won, Joo-Yun; Youn, Seock-Won; Cho, Hyun-Jai; Park, Kyung-Woo; Park, Woong-Yang; Seo, Jeong-Sun; Park, Young-Bae; Walsh, Kenneth; Oh, Byung-Hee; Kim, Hyo-Soo
- Issue Date
- American Heart Association
- Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008 Feb;28(2):302-8. Epub 2007 Dec 6.
- Animals; Anoikis/physiology; Apoptosis/*physiology; Carotid Arteries/physiology; Cell Adhesion/physiology; Cells, Cultured; Endothelial Cells/*physiology; Enzyme Activation; Extracellular Matrix/physiology; Forkhead Transcription Factors/*physiology; Humans; Matrix Metalloproteinase 3/*metabolism; Rabbits; Tissue Inhibitor of Metalloproteinase-1/*metabolism; Umbilical Veins/cytology
- BACKGROUND: The forkhead factor, FOXO3a, is known to induce apoptosis in endothelial cells (ECs). However, its effects on extracellular matrices (ECM), which are important in EC survival, remained unknown. Here, we evaluated the role of FOXO3a on EC-ECM interaction. METHODS AND RESULTS: Constitutively active FOXO3a was transduced to human umbilical vein endothelial cells by adenoviral vector (Ad-TM-FOXO3a). Ad-TM-FOXO3a transfection led to dehiscence of ECs from fibronectin-coated plates, resulting in anoikis, which was significantly reversed by matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) inhibitor, GM6001. FOXO3a increased the expression of MMP-3 (stromelysin-1) but decreased the expression of tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases-1 (TIMP-1), which was associated with increased MMP enzymatic activity in zymography. Pathophysiologic conditions such as serum starvation or heat shock also induced activation of endogenous FOXO3a, leading to activation of MMP-3 and apoptosis, which was reversed by GM6001. Delivery of Ad-TM-FOXO3a to the intraluminal surface in vivo led to EC denudation, disrupted vascular integrity, and impaired endothelium-dependent vasorelaxation. CONCLUSIONS: Activation of MMPs and possible ECM disruption represent novel mechanisms of FOXO3a-mediated apoptosis in ECs.
- 1524-4636 (Electronic)