S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Electrochemical capacitor performance of hydrous ruthenium oxide/mesoporous carbon composite electrodes
- Jang, Jong H; Han, Sang Jin; Hyeon, Taeghwan; Oh, Seung M.
- Issue Date
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol.123 No.1, pp.79-85
- electrochemical capacitors; mesoporous carbons; pseudo-capacitance; hydrous ruthenium oxides; AC impedance spectroscopy
- Ruthenium/carbon composite materials are prepared. by impregnating ruthenium(III) acetylacetonate into a mesoporous carbon (average pore diameter = 12 mn, pore volume = 3.6 cm(3) g(-1)) and then heat treatment at 320 degreesC for 2 h under an argon atmosphere. The metallic ruthenium nanoparticles are converted to pseudo-capacitive hydrous ruthenium oxide by electrochemical oxidation at 0.75 V (versus SCE) for 2 h in 2.0 M H2SO4. The specific capacitance of the composite electrodes, which is the sum of the double-layer capacitance of mesoporous carbon and the pseudo-capacitance of hydrous ruthenium oxide, reaches 243 F g(-1) with heavy loading. As the loading is increased, however, the degree of ruthenium utilization for a pseudo-capacitor becomes poorer, presumably due to a limited conversion to the hydrous oxide form. The rate capability of composite electrodes also decreases with increase in ruthenium loading, due to an increase in both the equivalent series resistance (ESR) and the overall capacitance value. The ESR enlargement is caused mainly an increase in the electrolyte resistance within pores which, in turn, results from a pore narrowing with ruthenium loading Hindered ionic motion in narrowed pores can explain this feature. An increase in the RC time constant with ruthenium loading is further verified by ac impedance measurements. (C) 2003 Elsevier Science B.V. All tights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)