S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Gene expression-based recurrence prediction of hepatitis B virus-related human hepatocellular carcinoma
- Woo, Hyun Goo ; Park, Eun Sung ; Cheon, Jae Hee ; Kim, Ju Han ; Lee, Ju-Seog ; Park, Bum Joon ; Kim, Won ; Park, Su Cheol ; Chung, Young Jin ; Kim, Byeong Gwan ; Yoon, Jung-Hwan ; Lee, Hyo-Suk ; Kim, Chung Yong ; Yi, Nam-Joon ; Suh, Kyung-Suk ; Lee, Kuhn Uk ; Chu, In-Sun ; Roskams, Tania ; Thorgeirsson, Snorri S ; Kim, Yoon Jun
- Issue Date
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Clin Cancer Res. 2008 ;14(7):2056-64.
- Carcinoma, Hepatocellular/*genetics/pathology/virology ; Gene Expression Profiling ; Hepatitis B virus ; Hepatitis B, Chronic/complications/pathology ; Humans ; Kaplan-Meiers Estimate ; Liver Neoplasms/*genetics/pathology/virology ; Neoplasm Recurrence, Local/*genetics/pathology/virology ; Oligonucleotide Array Sequence Analysis ; Prognosis ; Tumor Markers, Biological/*genetics ; Gene Expression
- PURPOSE: The poor prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is, in part, due to the high rate of recurrence even after "curative resection" of tumors. Therefore, it is axiomatic that the development of an effective prognostic prediction model for HCC recurrence after surgery would, at minimum, help to identify in advance those who would most benefit from the treatment, and at best, provide new therapeutic strategies for patients with a high risk of early recurrence. EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN: For the prediction of the recurrence time in patients with HCC, gene expression profiles were generated in 65 HCC patients with hepatitis B infections. RESULT: Recurrence-associated gene expression signatures successfully discriminated between patients at high-risk and low-risk of early recurrence (P=1.9 x 10(-6), log-rank test). To test the consistency and robustness of the recurrence signature, we validated its prognostic power in an independent HCC microarray data set. CD24 was identified as a putative biomarker for the prediction of early recurrence. Genetic network analysis suggested that SP1 and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha might have regulatory roles for the early recurrence of HCC. CONCLUSION: We have identified a gene expression signature that effectively predicted early recurrence of HCC independent of microarray platforms and cohorts, and provided novel biological insights into the mechanisms of tumor recurrence.
- 1078-0432 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.