S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Energy Systems Engineering (에너지시스템공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지시스템공학부)
Magnetotelluric inversion via reverse time migration algorithm of seismic data
- Ha, Taeyoung; Shin, Changsoo
- Issue Date
- J. Comput. Phys. 225 (2007) 237-262
- Backpropagation technique; Logarithm of complex apparent resistivity; Magnetotelluric method
- We propose a new algorithm for two-dimensional magnetotelluric (MT) inversion. Our algorithm is an MT inversion based on the steepest descent method, borrowed from the backpropagation technique of seismic inversion or reverse time migration, introduced in the middle 1980s by Lailly and Tarantola. The steepest descent direction can be calculated efficiently by using the symmetry of numerical Green's function derived from a mixed finite element method proposed by Nedelec for Maxwell's equation, without calculating the Jacobian matrix explicitly. We construct three different objective functions by taking the logarithm of the complex apparent resistivity as introduced in the recent waveform inversion algorithm by Shin and Min. These objective functions can be naturally separated into amplitude inversion, phase inversion and simultaneous inversion. We demonstrate our algorithm by showing three inversion results for synthetic data.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.