S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
Dental restorative composites containing 2,2-bis-[4-(2-hydroxy-3-methacryloyloxy propoxy) phenyl] propane derivatives and spiro orthocarbonates.
- Moon, E.J.; Lee, J.Y.; Kim, C.K.; Cho, B.H.
- Issue Date
- J Biomed Mater Res Part B: Appl Biomater 2005;73B:338–346
- dental restorative composite; Bis-GMA derivatives; spiro orthocarbonate; resin mixture; volumetric shrinkage
- Various dental restorative composite resins containing 2,2-bis-[4-(2-hydroxy-3-methacryloyloxy propoxy) phenyl] propane (Bis-GMA) derivatives and spiro orthocarbonates (SOCs) were explored for minimizing the volumetric shrinkage that generally occurs during polymerization. Previous reports suggested mixing Bis-GMA with its derivative TMBis-GMA (2,2-bis[3,5-dimethyl-4-(2-hydroxy-3-methacryloyloxy propoxy) phenyl] propane) to obtain a dental composite with low volumetric shrinkage. It was hypothesized that spiro orthocarbonates would expand volumetrically during polymerization, because of their sophisticated ring-opening reactions; therefore several of them were added to the mixture of Bis-GMA and TMBis-GMA to bring about further reductions in volumetric shrinkage. It was indeed possible to reduce the extent of volumetric shrinkage of dental composites containing SOCs, and to do so without compromising these resins' mechanical properties.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.