S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Industrial Engineering (산업공학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_산업공학과)
An approach to discovering new technology opportunities: Keyword-based patent map approach
- Lee, Sungjoo; Yoon, Byungun; Park, Yongtae
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- TECHNOVATION; Vol.29 6-7; 481-497
- Keyword-based; Patent information; Technology vacancy; Patent map; New technology creation; Text-mining; PCA
- This paper proposes an approach for creating and utilizing keyword-based patent maps for use in new technology creation activity. The proposed approach comprises the following sub-modules. First, text mining is used to transform patent documents into structured data to identify keyword vectors. Second, principal component analysis is employed to reduce the numbers of keyword vectors to make suitable for use on a two-dimensional map. Third, patent ''''''''vacancies'''''''', defined as blank areas in the map that are sparse in patent density but large in size, are identified. The validity of the vacancy is then tested against Such criteria as technological criticality and technological trends. If a vacancy is judged as meaningful, its technological features are investigated in detail to identify the potential for new technology creation. The procedure of the proposed approach is described in detail by employing an illustrative patent database and is implemented into an expert system for new technology creation. (C) 2008 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.